Most of my sex addiction clients have endured traumas in their earlier years that are adversely affecting them in the present. Being a trauma informed care practitioner and assisting in identifying and healing such traumas can be quite helpful to the recovery process. Trauma Informed Care also emphasizes physical, psychological and emotional safety, and helps survivors rebuild a sense of control and empowerment.
Basic principles of Trauma Informed Care:
- A safe therapeutic environment is essential to aid in recovery.
- Trauma-related symptoms and behaviors originate from adapting to traumatic experiences.
- Recovery from trauma is identified as a goal in treatment.
- Resiliency and trauma-resistant skills training are part of treatment, especially shame resiliency and developing a relationship with one’s Inner Ally.
- Trauma-Informed Care includes a focus on strengths rather than pathology.
Trauma recovery is a collaborative effort.